Monday, August 23, 2010

Day 13


The end of the day finds me quite sore and tired. Our construction project today began a track around the field for the students here. It involved a lot of shoveling. The picture above shows the type of shovel that is used here. Imagine a quarterback hut-hut-hiking a football between his legs and you'll get the idea of how to use it (except you don't actually throw the shovel :) ).
It made me a little dizzy to use so I stuck to the conventional shovel.

I can't claim any tears or blood but I sure put a lot of sweat into this project. It was a hot day and we were all feeling it. It required a lot of water and some gatorade to keep us away from heat exhaustion. I came away with a few blisters but in spite of all that, it was a nice day. I enjoyed the company of the other volunteer as we listened to music and talked. And it was nice to know that we were doing something tangible for the students that we have come to love so much. My bucket-shower (or bower as we lovingly refer to them) felt so good afterwards.

Tonight before we helped the older kids with homework, we read to the little girls. The book of choice ended up being "The Lion King". They had seen the movie before so they loved it. As bedtime they requested a song, as always, so we sang them "Hakuna Matata".

It will be a good night for sleeping.

1 comment:

  1. What a great bedtime song! No worries, sleep peacefully :)

    ReplyDelete